Soundproofing a Party Wall in a Semi Detached House
Sound transmission through a party wall in a semi detached house is a common problem for many people. It occurs as a result of airborne noise such as human voices, televisions, radios, music performance etc. When airborne sound waves strike a wall, the pressure variations cause the wall to vibrate. A portion of the vibrational energy on your neighbour's side will be transferred through the wall where it is radiated as airborne sound on your side. There is a loss in sound transmission as the frequency of the sound waves produced from striking against the wall increases. Depending on its loudness and frequency, this noise transmission can be treated either to remove it completely or reduce it to an acceptable level.
How to soundproof a party wall with Mustwall 10
- Lay strip of Stywall ST-3 Acoustic Wall Isolation Strip on the floor.
- Construct a 50mm metal stud or 75mm timber stud wall independent of the existing party wall.
- You should ensure that no part of the new stud touches the face of the party wall.
- Use a strip of Stywall ST-3 at sides and on top of the stud where it comes into contact with walls and ceilings.
- Fill inside the stud with a high density mineral wool (60kg/m3). This material is commonly available from most builders merchants.
- The next step is to fix the Mustwall Soundproofing Panels to the timber frame. You can either apply a single or a double layer.
- The Mustwall panels should be butted tightly together and sealed with Stik Adhesive Tape.
- Trim the Stywall ST-3 to meet the extent of the Mustwall panels.
- Next up, fix two layers of standard 12.5mm plasterboard. Stagger the joints between the two layers.
- Leave a 5mm gap around the perimeter of the wall and fill this with Acoustic Sealant.
- The soundproofed wall can be finished by plaster skimming or as desired.
- Skirting board should can be fixed with a panel adhesive or plasterboard screws.
- Leave a gap between skirting board and the floor and fill with acoustic sealant.
Party Wall with a 50mm Metal Stud and Mustwall M10 Soundproofing Board
Rw ( Airborne Sound Transmission Loss) - 63.5dB
Party Wall with a 75mm Timber Stud and Mustwall M10 Soundproofing Board
Rw ( Airborne Sound Transmission Loss) - 64dB